Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
Wed November 14, 2012
Protecting Cleveland Transit Drivers
Community activists in Cleveland want RTA riders to start showing
drivers some courtesy. They're declaring December as "Courteous and Polite While Riding the Bus Month," with recently-fired RTA driver Artis Hughes leading the effort. Hughes was fired this month for punching an unruly passenger. A few days after his termination, driver Greg Vranekovic said he was able to avoid an accident after being punched in the face during an argument over a passenger's refusal to pay his fare. An RTA spokesperson says the agency and the bus drivers' union are studying ways to better protect drivers. The union wants shields installed around drivers, and the agency will test several types of Plexiglass enclosures soon. Hughes says it's an important issue for drivers and the public.