Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Wed May 29, 2013
Red Baraat On World Cafe
Originally published on Fri October 4, 2013 10:45 am
At a Red Baraat show, the combination of Punjabi Bhangra music, New Orleans-style jazz, go-go and even hip-hop is so seamless — and the vibe of the party is so exuberant — that barriers fall down. That unique sound is what Red Baraat's leader, Sunny Jain, had in mind when he formed the band in Brooklyn in 2008.
A jazz drummer, Jain was inspired by the baraats, the wedding processionals he'd seen in Punjabi during a family visit. At the center of Red Baraat's music is the two-headed dhol Jain plays. Assisted by other drummers, horn players and even a guy on the sousaphone who raps, Red Baraat's acoustic sound shines on the recent Shruggy Ji.
This installment of World Cafe was first published on May 29, 2013.