Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Fri September 13, 2013
Report: Ohio Second For Carbon Dioxide Emissions
A report by an environmental group ranks Ohio second in the nation for the amount of carbon dioxide emitted by coal-fired power plants.
Carbon dioxide emissions are among the chief causes of global climate change. The report by the Environment Ohio Research and Policy Center shows six power plants in the state are among the top 100 carbon dioxide emitters in the nation. Center spokesperson Vivian Daly.
The report is based on fuel consumption figures reported to the U.S. Energy Department and estimates of the carbon content of each fuel source developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The report comes as the Obama administration prepares a new set of rules to tackle climate change, including a reduction of carbon dioxide emissions from new power plants. Two of the plants in the study are operated by Columbus-based American Electric Power. Another is operated by Akron-based FirstEnergy. Spokesperson Stephanie Thornton says the report does not take into account the size of the plants ior the efficiency with which they produce power. She says the company is on track to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 18 percent by 2015.