Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu February 6, 2014
Review Finds No Reason For Change Following McGuire Execution
Initial reviews of an execution in which an inmate repeatedly gasped found no reason to change the way the state carries out executions.
The reviews, required by prison rules, show the state execution policy was followed, and execution and medical team members acted appropriately. The state is planning a longer review of Dennis McGuire's January 16th execution looking at specific things that happened during the procedure. McGuire's 26-minute execution was the longest procedure since Ohio resumed capital punishment in 1999. His family is suing, saying it was cruel and inhumane.