Most Active Stories
- Anti-Fracking Measure Will Not Make Columbus' November Ballot
- Proposed Bill To Give Firefighters Special Cancer Prevention, Treatment
- Divers Pull Body Of One Of Two Drowning Victims From Olentangy
- Police Identify Two Suspects In Slaying Of Innocent Bystander
- WCBE Presents Radio Birds Live From Studio A Thurs. July 23, 2015 @ 2PM!
Tue August 7, 2012
School Money Issues Dominate Today's Ballots
Voters in 35 Ohio Counties will cast ballots in special elections today. The Ohio Secretary of State's office says 60 issues are on ballots today, and three dozen involve school funding requests. Renewal levies typically have a better passage rate than new issues, according to Ohio School Boards association spokesperson Jeff Chambers. And Association legislative director Damon Ashbury says students in wealthier school districts tend to have an edge in the classroom. Many Ohio schools have gone to the ballot to help offset cuts in state funding and reductions in property tax revenues. The Ohio Supreme Court has repeatedly declared unconstitutional the state's school funding formula.