Most Active Stories
- FBI Investigating Sale Of Mayor Coleman's Former Home
- Ohio Plays Role In History Following SCOTUS Decision On Same-Sex Marriage
- Ballot Board Approves Cannabis Control Amendment For 2016 Ballot
- Supreme Court Declares Same-Sex Marriage Legal In All 50 States
- Democrats Call For Elimination Of State's "Pink Tax"
Tue August 7, 2012
School Money Issues Dominate Today's Ballots
Voters in 35 Ohio Counties will cast ballots in special elections today. The Ohio Secretary of State's office says 60 issues are on ballots today, and three dozen involve school funding requests. Renewal levies typically have a better passage rate than new issues, according to Ohio School Boards association spokesperson Jeff Chambers. And Association legislative director Damon Ashbury says students in wealthier school districts tend to have an edge in the classroom. Many Ohio schools have gone to the ballot to help offset cuts in state funding and reductions in property tax revenues. The Ohio Supreme Court has repeatedly declared unconstitutional the state's school funding formula.