Most Active Stories
- DeWine Rejects Marijuana Legalization Effort Backed By Former Libertarian Gubernatorial Candidate
- WCBE Rewind: Nick D' & the Believers
- State Struggles To Deal With Rising Numbers of Mentally Ill Inmates In Prisons
- Cincinnati Restaurant Owner Apologies For Bruce Jenner "Joke"
- Improperly Canned Food Confirmed As Source Of Lancaster Botulism Outbreak
Mon August 20, 2012
School Resource Officer Pleads Not Guilty to Sex Charges
A former Columbus cop and school resource officer has pleaded not guilty to ederal charges of trying to have sex with a high school student.
Officer Todd L. Smith has been charged with two counts of trying to coerce a minor to make a sexually explicit video to send to him. A third count charges him with trying to entice another minor to have sex with him. The 49-year-old Smith has pleaded not guilty to all three charges and remains in custody. A complaint surfaced in July alleging inappropriate contact between Smith and a 15-year old girl at Centennial High School, where Smith had been assigned as a resource officer. During the FBI investigation, the girl claimed she had been involved in a year long relationship with Smith. Smith is slated to go to trial October 22.