Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Tue May 21, 2013
Sequestration Hits Summer Meal Program Workers
The fallout from the Federal sequestration cuts continues.
The cuts will reduce the number of AmeriCorps VISTA members who help to feed hungry children during the summer months. The Ohio Association of Foodbanks says there are 40 granted slots this year compared with more than 170 last year. VISTA supports summer food service programs for kids who normally receive free and reduced-price meals during the school year. OAF Spokesperson Joree Jacobs says member slots were reduced by 135 this year because of sequestration.
Jacobs says there is lot of funding uncertainly in other areas, including recently announced reductions in a program that provides boxes of food to Ohio seniors, and cuts to the program that provides food and support to pregnant women, new mothers and children.