Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu August 22, 2013
Shooting By Gun Safety Instructor Was Not His First
A central Ohio woman says a certified gun safety instructor accused of accidentally shooting a student during a demonstration earlier this month was involved in a second accidental shooting decades ago.
Cathy Schmelzer says Terry Dunlap Senior wounded her in 1977 when he fired a handgun into the air during a Halloween hay ride and a bullet ricocheted. Dunlap was not charged in that case. Authorities handling the current case have yet to decided whether to file charges against the former police officer and Violet Township trustee. The injured student, 26-year-old Michael Piemonte, says Dunlap made a mistake.