Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Thu February 20, 2014
State Democratic Party Chair Predicts Lawsuit Over Absentee-Ballot Legislation
Ohio Democratic Party chair and State Representative Chris Redfern says he expects the organization to file a federal lawsuit over an absentee-ballot measure passed by the Republican-controlled Legislature.
Democrats believe the measure violates the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The bill would let the Secretary of State mail unsolicited applications for general elections if the Legislature sets aside the funding. Other public officials would be banned from sending the unsolicited applications.