Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- Council Opposes 26 Liquor License Renewals, Supports Same-Sex Marriage
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Madison Township Crash Claims One Life
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu February 20, 2014
State Democratic Party Chair Predicts Lawsuit Over Absentee-Ballot Legislation
Ohio Democratic Party chair and State Representative Chris Redfern says he expects the organization to file a federal lawsuit over an absentee-ballot measure passed by the Republican-controlled Legislature.
Democrats believe the measure violates the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The bill would let the Secretary of State mail unsolicited applications for general elections if the Legislature sets aside the funding. Other public officials would be banned from sending the unsolicited applications.