Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu December 12, 2013
State Regulators Approve Changes To 740 Area Code
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has approved a plan to use a new 220 area code in areas now covered by the 740 area code, which is expected to run out of numbers in 2015.
The commission's plan allows current 740 customers to keep that area code on existing phone lines. Commissioner Jason Gilham says the new 220 area code will be assigned for new numbers in parts of central and southeast Ohio.
Gilham says customers in the new 220 area code will have to use 10-digit dialing for local calls starting in March 2015.