Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Thu December 12, 2013
State Regulators Approve Changes To 740 Area Code
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has approved a plan to use a new 220 area code in areas now covered by the 740 area code, which is expected to run out of numbers in 2015.
The commission's plan allows current 740 customers to keep that area code on existing phone lines. Commissioner Jason Gilham says the new 220 area code will be assigned for new numbers in parts of central and southeast Ohio.
Gilham says customers in the new 220 area code will have to use 10-digit dialing for local calls starting in March 2015.