Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Fri September 13, 2013
State School Board President Backtracks From Remarks About Book
Ohio School Board president Debe Terhar says her characterization of Ohio native Toni Morrison's Book "The Bluest Eye" as "pornographic" was a personal opinion not a board position.
Terhar says she sees the novel's graphic passages as unsuitable for school-aged children. But Terhar says she remains "completely supportive of Ohio's new learning standards," which list the 1970 novel among recommended texts.The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio challenged her earlier statements that the book should be banned, calling the young African-American girl who's raped and impregnated by her father in the book "a haunting symbol of internalized racism." Terhar was nearly fired in February after sharing a Facebook post that equated President Obama to Adolf Hitler.