State seeks federal food assistance cards

The state is asking the federal government for help providing more food assistance cards for those who lost edibles during the storm-related power outages.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services says if its request is approved, emergency replacement of funds from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps, would go to people in 45 of the state's hardest-hit counties. Mitch Wilson of the Ohio Insurance Institute notes the cost of any food lost to the storms likely is not covered by the typical home insurance policy.