Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Mon October 21, 2013
Study Finds Contaminated Breast Milk Sold Online
Doctors are sending a warning to new mothers who feed their babies with breast milk purchased online.
Researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus say much of the breast milk sold online could be contaminated. Doctor Sarah Keim led the research team.
Researchers bought and tested more than 100 breast milk samples sold online, but did not identify the website. Breast milk is also provided through milk banks, whose clients include hospitals. But unlike milk purchased online, the banks screen donors and pasteurize donated milk to kill any germs. The study can be found online and in the November issue of Pediatrics.