Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
Tue July 16, 2013
SUPCO Death Penalty Panel To Issue Different Reports
An Ohio Supreme Court committee studying changes to the state's death penalty law is almost guaranteed to produce majority and minority reports on their findings when its work is completed later this year.
The publication of competing reports raises questions about the committee's impact and what if any recommendations lawmakers will consider. Members last month approved measures to strip the law of many of the factors that elevate murder cases to possible death penalty prosecutions, such as rape, robbery and burglary. The divided committee also recommended a statewide panel trump local prosecutors on decisions whether to bring death penalty cases. The committee also called for a panel to guard against possible racial bias in prosecutions.