Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
Thu May 23, 2013
Teacher Requirements Relaxed For 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
State lawmakers have approved a bill making more teachers temporarily eligible to participate in meeting Ohio's new third-grade reading guarantee.
The revised teacher eligibility guidelines and other changes are designed to address an anticipated shortage. The state program requires students be proficient in reading before leaving third grade. The bill scraps required completion of a "scientifically research-based reading instruction program," allowing certain highly-rated teachers with strong track records in reading to qualify. Those holding alternative credentials and not serving as a student's "teacher of record" are also freed to help. Governor John Kasich is expected to sign the bill.