Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Fri December 13, 2013
Third Grade Reading Test Results Released
The Ohio Department of Education says today 26 percent of third-graders scored below a new literacy target on reading tests taken in the fall.
Under the state's new Third Grade Reading Guarantee, students may be held back a grade if they fail to meet new reading targets. Half of the more than 21 thousand Ohio students who showed basic proficiency also will fall below what's been dubbed the "cut score" for passing third grade. Third-graders will be tested again in six months. Those who lag at year's end will have the chance to re-take reading and advance to fourth grade.