Most Active Stories
- FBI Investigating Sale Of Mayor Coleman's Former Home
- Ohio Plays Role In History Following SCOTUS Decision On Same-Sex Marriage
- Ballot Board Approves Cannabis Control Amendment For 2016 Ballot
- Locals Working To Preserve Original Port Columbus Terminal
- Democrats Call For Elimination Of State's "Pink Tax"
Wed September 11, 2013
Third Inmate Suicide In Two Months
The state says a prison inmate has committed suicide, the third case of an Ohio prisoner killing himself in two months.
The State Highway Patrol says the inmate was found hanging in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution early Tuesday by his cell mate. The Department of Rehabilitation and Correction identified the inmate Wednesday as James Blackburn of Trumbull County. Records show the 31-year-old Blackburn entered prison in 2006 and was serving a 21-year sentence for a rape conviction. Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro committed suicide last week as he began a life sentence for imprisoning three women in his home for a decade and repeatedly beating and raping them. Death row inmate Billy Slagle killed himself last month just a few days before his scheduled execution.