Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Thu August 1, 2013
Tom Charles Retires
State Public Safety Director Tom Charles retired yesterday to meet a key retirement benefit deadline under state pension reform.
Ohio Public Radio's Andy Chow reports.
Tom Charles has retired as director of Ohio’s Department of Public Safety, ending a nearly five-decade career in public service.
Along with heading up public safety, Charles also led the Ohio State Highway Patrol and served as Inspector General.
Governor John Kasich says Charles has played a major role in keeping Ohioans safe while enforcing the law.
According to the governor’s office, Charles is now talking to the nonprofit private job creation company, JobsOhio, about a possible advisory role.
Taking over as head of public safety will be Colonel John Born who was previously serving as superintendent of the highway patrol.