Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu September 12, 2013
Union Appeals Fire Investigator's Suspension
The union representing a Columbus arson investigator is appealing the 80 hour suspension he served last month for ordering a motorist out of a car at gunpoint and putting him in handcuffs.
50-year-old Jeffrey Smith ordered 36-year-old Michael Watkins out of the car at Jack Gibbs Boulevard and Cleveland Avenue in January during what Fire Division officials call a road-rage incident. Watkins was sentenced to two months in jail while Smith was not criminally charged. The union wants an arbitrator to review the incident and overturn the suspension.