Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Thu September 12, 2013
Union Defends Guards Following Castro's Apparent Suicide
The union representing Ohio prison guards says the two corrections officers placed on leave during investigations into the suicide of Cleveland kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro did nothing wrong.
The president of the Ohio Civil Service Employees Association questions the timeliness of the decision and says the guards "are being scapegoated and used as smokescreen." Christopher Mabe says employees are typically put on leave immediately after an incident if questions are raised over their involvement. The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections put guards Caleb Ackley and Ryan Murphy on paid administrative leave. They were on duty at the Orient Correctional Institution where Castro hanged himself. A department spokesperson says the decision was made as the investigation unfolded.