Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Fri February 28, 2014
Update: Underground Explosions Close Some Downtown Streets
Columbus police say a fire in an underground vault belonging to Columbus-based American Electric Power caused several underground explosions downtown early this morning. The blasts knocked off manhole covers, set off fire alarms, knocked out traffic signals and caused several power outages.
The vault is near the Renaissance and Chase buildings. The cause of the fire is under investigation. The outages affected several downtown buildings. Police closed East Broad Street between Third and Fourth Streets, North Fourth Street between Broad and Gay Streets, and Lynn and Pearl alleys to investigate. It's not known when the roads will be reopened.