Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Tue December 6, 2011
U.S. Ambassador Returning To Syria
Originally published on Tue December 6, 2011 11:14 am
"Ambassador Robert Ford has completed his consultations in Washington and is returning to Syria," the State Department confirms on its official Twitter page.
He left there the weekend of Oct. 22 because of what State said had been "credible threats against his personal safety."
As we reported on Sept. 29, Ford had gotten considerable attention for his meetings with opposition figures as protests against the Assad regime continued in recent months. His efforts have not gone over well with the Assad regime. Government supporters at one point threw stones, eggs and tomatoes at Ford's convoy as he went to meet with an opposition leader. They also surrounded the building where the ambassador was meeting with that opposition figure.
This morning, the State Department adds that:
"Ambassador Ford's presence in Syria is among the most effective ways to send the message that the U.S. stands with the people of Syria."