This salad, from our Managing Producer Sally Swift, takes its inspiration from a recent trip to the spice stalls in Israel.
The Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 5-6 tablespoons of oil
- 6 cups cleaned arugula
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups watermelon, chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Make the Spice Blend. Roughly grind the sesame seeds, pistachios, thyme, caraway seeds and salt with a mortar and pestle or alternatively place them in a small Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. They should be just crushed, not ground to a fine dust. Set aside.
2. Combine the garlic with the vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Allow it to mellow a minimum of 10 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, whisk in the olive oil until nicely blended. Add the arugula and toss coating the leaves evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the watermelon, sprinkle generously with the Israeli Spice mix, top with crumbled feta and serve.
Originally posted on the Splendid Table's website.