Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Infamous Stringdusters Live From Studio A Wed. Dec. 4, 2013 @ 1PM!
- WCBE Presents The Womack Family Band Live From Studio A Fri. Dec. 6, 2013 @ 2PM!
- The Man Who Knew Comets
- Residents Complain About Taste And Smell Of Columbus Water
- World Premier Of "Elijah's Angel" Highlights Columbus Artists
Wed October 9, 2013
Weeknight Kitchen: Black Bean Soup with Avocado, Orange and Cucumber
We're always on the lookout for good black bean recipes, and this week's recipe for Black Bean Soup with Avocado, Orange and Cucumber is a winner. This soup comes together in a hot minute, and the finish of a salsa made from avocado, cucumber and chopped orange is a reminder of what fresh, raw ingredients can bring to a dish.
You can serve this soup chunky with a clear broth, or blend it to create a smooth purée.
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed
2 jars (4 oz. each) pimientos, drained
1 tsp. each ground cumin and dried oregano
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tapatío
1 avocado, cubed
Juice of 1 lime
1 orange, peeled and chopped
1/2 English cucumber, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, pimientos, seasonings, and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
2. Mix avocado, lime juice, orange, and cucumber in a medium bowl. Divide soup among bowls; top with avocado mixture and a sprinkle of cheese.
PER 2-CUP SERVING
336 cal., 45% (152 cal.) from fat
9.7 g protein
17 g fat (3.4 g sat.)
37 g carbo (12 g fiber)
1,350 mg sodium
7.5 mg chol
From Sunset's Cook Taste Savor, published by Oxmoor House. Originally posted on the Splendid Table's website. Originally posted on the Splendid Table's website.