Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Mon November 18, 2013
Weeknight Kitchen: Cream of Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese, Fougasse
Leaves are falling, temperatures are dipping, and it's the right time to get a bubbling pot of soup going on the stove.
Cream of tomato soup always reminds me of the standard Friday fare in the school cafeteria. It was my favorite hot lunch day of all, although I am sure the soup wasn't made from scratch! There's nothing quite as homespun as a bowl of it with a classic grilled cheese sandwich.
Makes 4 servings
2 cups Basic Vegetable Broth (page 6) or low-sodium store-bough
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups crushed fresh tomatoes, or 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
Salt and ground black pepper
In a soup pot, whisk together the broth, flour, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to a simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened. Using an immersion blender or a standard blender, puree the soup. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Reprinted from The Soup & Bread Cookbook, by Beatrice Ojakangas. Originally posted on the Splendid Table's website.