Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu September 12, 2013
White House Nominates Strickland To U.N. Post
Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland says he's looking forward to his new position as one of the alternate representatives to the 68th session of the United Nations General Assembly.
The Democrat is one of the nominees for Obama administration posts announced Tuesday by the White House. Strickland, who co-chaired the President's 2012 reelection campaign in Ohio, says the position is mostly ceremonial.
Strickland says the current situation in Syria makes the position even more interesting to him.
Strickland 's nomination must be confirmed by the U.S. Senate. He says if that happens, he will move to New York City, but will return to Ohio often to campaign during next year's elections. Former Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams was nominated as Assistant Secretary for Economic Development at the U.S. Department of Commerce.