Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Arts + Life
Thu February 13, 2014
Wire Fox Terrier Wins Best In Show At Westminster
Originally published on Wed February 12, 2014 6:06 am
A wire fox terrier named Sky has become America's new top dog.
Sky won best in show at the 138th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday, beating out dogs in six other groups, including a standard poodle, Portuguese water dog, bloodhound, Irish water spaniel, Cardigan Welsh corgi and a miniature pinscher.
It was the 14th time a wire fox terrier won best in show, more than any other breed since the Westminster show began in 1877.
The standard poodle, Ally, was picked as runner-up, the AP reported. Sky, who is 5, has won 128 best in show titles in her life as a show dog.
Gabriel Rangel, her handler, told the New York Times that Sky "didn't make any mistakes. ... When she shows off her balance, she's so pretty."
This year's Westminster was the first ever to allow mixed-breed dogs to compete, but only in the agility contest held Saturday. Kelso, a border collie, soared over hurdles and zipped through hoops to take top honors in that contest, which was far livelier than Tuesday's traditional pageant.