Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
Mon October 29, 2012
Xavier continues to offer birth-control insurance coverage
A Catholic school that drew criticism when it announced plans to halt birth control insurance coverage is still offering it.
Xavier University has continued offering insurance that covers contraceptives. A spokesperson says the decision to continue came after the U. S. Supreme Court in June upheld president Barack Obama's health care legislation. School president Michael Graham had said earlier this year that without a legal mandate, it was inconsistent for the school to cover drugs and procedures that the church opposes. Graham remains critical of the requirement, saying religious institutions have never been asked to violate their consciences like that. Some Xavier alumni had criticized Graham for playing politics with women's health. Insider Higher Ed reported Monday on Xavier's policy, which Graham had discussed in a recent Cincinnati Enquirer interview