Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Mon July 15, 2013
Zimmerman Verdict Sparks Local Protests
An estimated 120 people gathered at the Franklin County Courthouse and the Statehouse yesterday to protest the not guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial.
Zimmerman was charged with shooting and killing an unarmed 17-year-old African-American teen in Florida last year. Zimmerman was found not guilty on Saturday night, igniting a social media storm of outrage and cries of racism at rallies in Columbus and around the country. The NAACP and protesters are calling for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman. The Justice Department says it is looking into the case to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal civil rights charges. President Obama is asking all Americans respect the call for calm reflection. He says Americans should ask themselves if they're doing all they can to stem gun violence, and what can be done to prevent future tragedies like the Florida shooting.